The 2016 Lace up for LOVE Committee are excited to announce that fellow IRONDame and Guinness Book Of World Record Holder Kathryn Clewley “aka Kat” will be attending our 7th Annual Lace up for LOVE Mother’s Day Walk/Run to cheer on our 1K Walk & Run participants and then run our 5K course “backwards”! And when we say….”backwards” we don’t mean from “Finish to Start” we really mean “run backwards” as Kat is what we call a “Retro Runner”.
As backward running, also known as backwards running, running backwards, reverse running, or retro locomotion is the act of running in reverse, so that one travels in the direction one’s back is facing rather than one’s front. It is classed as a retro movement, the reverse of any normal movement. Non-English names include Rückwärtslaufen (German) and Marcha reversiva (Spanish).
It’s a sport that Kat stumbled upon when out running with her dog Vanilla, a giant schnauzer, and the challenge quickly took hold! On September 20, 2015 she ran and completed the Ottawa Army Half Marathon backwards in a time of 2:14. On November 1, 2015, Kat retro-ran Road2Hope Marathon in Hamilton, Ontario to set a Guinness Book of World Record in a time of 4:48:42, while fundraising for the YMCA’s after-school and summer program, Beyond the Bell.
Kat’s Athletic Resume Is Second To None:
- Ultra-runner (4x 100mile races), Marathoner (2003-current), Ironman Mont-Tremblant Finisher (August 2012), Boston Marathon Finisher (April 2013)
- Professional Duathlete (2005-2006) National Age Group Champion, Short Course Duathlon (June 2005)
- Competed in over 75 triathlons/duathlons, placing in top three finishers at each event
- All-American Triathlete (2004) and All-American Duathlete (2005) (USAT Sanctioned)
- Canadian National Soccer Team (1996-2001), Ontario Provincial Soccer Team (1992-1998)
In 2010 Kat the “IRONDame” was an inspirational training partner to all of us who were preparing to complete our first Ironman challenges!
What Else Is Kat Up To This Spring?
- Tomorrow night, Thursday, April 21 2016 at 6 PM Kat will give a Motivation Talk to our Lace up for LOVE Walk/Run Clinic participants … if you are in the area you are welcome to drop in… you’ll be inspired!
- Sunday, April 24 2016 Kat will take part in the inaugural Reverse Run for Meredith’s Miracle’s Colon Cancer Foundation in Chicago, IL to raise awareness and funds for those affected with colon cancer. As a guest speaker for the event Kat will be sharing her retro-running experiences with runners who will be running the 1 mile course. To learn more about the Reverse Run or donate CLICK HERE.
- July 14 to 17, 2016 Kat will be representing Canada at the World Championships for Retro-Running in Essen, Germany in the 10,000 m race (10km) on July 15th; the 400 m race on July 16th; the 5,000 m race (5km) on July 16th; and the 1/2 Marathon July on 17th!
Kat has spent most of her life living and working in Burlington. She is passionate about this community and strives to give back to it. With a background in education and her incredible athletic resume Kat is empowering everyday people to live active lives and accomplish their goals as the current Program Manager for Les Chater Family YMCA in Hamilton, ON.
We can’t wait to see Kat in action at our Mother’s Day Lace up for LOVE 1 & 5K Walk/Run on Sunday, May 8 2016 at Neworld Cycle & Tri-Shop.